How many times have you listened to someone talk about a change they want to make or a goal they want to achieve but they feel stuck, unsuccessful, or simply unmotivated? How often has this happened to you personally? If honest, most of us are probably sheepishly nodding our heads right now.
A very common reason people don’t make the positive changes they say they want to make is they didn’t invest the time connecting with how their life will be better after the change.
Here’s a little trick you can use that will significantly increase your odds of implementing powerful change, and it’s called AUTHENTIC BUY-IN.
Simply stated, this is a process of getting really committed to the goal by identifying “What’s in it for me?” You can take yourself or others through this process, and you’ll be amazed with the results. Here are the steps:
Answer the following questions with careful thought, and really focus on experiencing the emotions that come up for you. Better yet, write down your answers.
1) What do you really want? (The answer to this question is typically the REASON for the goal)
2) On a scale of 1 – 10, where are you NOW in relationship to what you really want? (The gap between where you are and a 10 represents the true potential of what you want to have /achieve. It should be viewed as opportunity versus a negative).
3) What is your current situation / approach costing you? (Spend time on this one!)
4) If you achieve a 10, what will be different in your life? What do you gain?
5) How would it feel to live / work in your desired state? (Identify the actual emotion).
6) On a scale of 1 – 10, how committed are you to moving to where you want to be?
If you’ve created buy-in, you just answered 10, and you’re ready to develop your action plan. You have identified why the change really matters to you and what the true cost of stagnation is. Finish the process by asking yourself: “What’s the most meaningful step I can take today towards your ideal state of 10?” And then do that, and ask yourself this same question tomorrow.